Philly Cheesesteak Foil Packet Dinner
All the glory of a Philly cheesesteak with just a fraction of the fat and calories. The liquid released from the vegetables creates a delicious light gravy to dip the roll into.
- 1 medium yellow onion (peeled, quartered, thinly sliced)
- 1 teaspoon water
- 2 Tbsp no-sodium Italian seasoning
- 1, (8-ounce) package sliced white mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 1 pound beef filet top sirloin, cut into 1/2-inch strips
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2 red or green bell peppers
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup shredded, fat-free mozzarella cheese
- 4 small whole-wheat rolls, to serve
Cooking Tip: Low-fat varieties of cheeses like provolone or Swiss can be substituted for the mozzarella.
Keep it Healthy: Craving steak, but want to stay healthy? Beef filet top sirloin is one of the best picks on account of its leanness.
Tip: Onions require a longer cooking time than the other ingredients which is why they get a needed zap in the microwave before being add to the foil packet.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Make 4 sheets of aluminum foil about 30 inches long. Fold the foil in half width wise (into almost a square) so it's extra-sturdy.
- 2 Peel and quarter the onion. Thinly slice each quarter and add to a heatproof container with water. Microwave onions until mostly tender, about 90 seconds to 2 minutes, depending on microwave's power. Carefully transfer onions into a medium bowl.
- 3 Seed each bell pepper and then thinly slice. Roughly chop the sliced mushrooms. Transfer both bell peppers and mushrooms into the bowl with the onion.
- 4 Thinly slice the top sirloin into 1/2-inch strips. Add sirloin into the bowl with the vegetables. Stir in balsamic vinegar, canola oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Use tongs or a spoon to mix until combined.
- 5 Divide mixture into 4 equal portions into the center of each foil square. Top each portion with 1/4 cup cheese.
- 6 Securely seal the top and sides of each foil packet. Place each foil packet onto a large baking sheet and add into the preheated oven. Cook until beef is cooked through, about 20 minutes. (Remove 1 packet to check that steak is fully cooked before removing them all from the oven.)
- 7 Place each foil packet onto a plate. Carefully open each packet and serve with rolls.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||8.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.3 g|
|Trans Fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.1 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
4 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Philly Cheesesteak Foil Packet Dinner has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box