Tomato Basil Soup
For just a little longer than it takes to bring a can of tomato soup to a boil, whip up this tomato soup that is much lower in sodium—and much tastier too. The addition of fresh basil bumps the flavor of this soup up a notch.
- 3, (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 2 cups skim milk
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups fresh basil leaves, plus more to garnish if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
Cooking Tip: Don’t have fresh basil? Just stir in 2 teaspoons dried basil at the start of the recipe, along with the garlic powder.
Keep it Healthy: Many canned tomatoes are packed with extra sodium; make sure to look on the label for tomatoes with no salt added.
Tip: Stirring in a touch of baking soda into the soup once it is off the heat is a trick to reduce the acidity from the tomatoes—just a tiny step that greatly improves the soup’s flavor.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium or large heavy-duty pot, add tomatoes, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- 2 Bring mixture to a boil over high heat; reduce heat to medium or low so mixture is at a simmer. Let soup simmer for 15 minutes. Stir in basil leaves; cook another 5 minutes.
- 3 Remove soup from the heat. Stir in baking soda (which will make the soup foam for a minute). Using a handheld immersion blender, carefully puree the hot mixture until smooth. (Alternatively, very carefully add hot mixture into a food processor or blender in batches to puree) Ladle soup into bowls, garnishing with extra basil, if desired.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||0.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.1 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1/2 fat-free milk, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tomato Basil Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box