Slow Cooker Harvest Beef Stew
Let the slow cooker do all the heavy work for you. Just toss all the ingredients into the slow cooker and come home to a piping hot stew, perfect for a cold winter's day.
- 1 lb bottom round beef roast (cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 large Russet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 medium sweet potato, cut into 1/2-inch dice (about 2 cups)
- 2 cups peeled, thinly sliced carrots
- 1, (10-ounce) package frozen pearl onions
- 1, (14.5-ounce) can no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 1, (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1, (10-ounce) package frozen peas
- 2 Tbsp dried parsley
Cooking Tip: In any slow cooker recipe, make sure that the food that will take the longest time to cook—in this case, both the beef and the Russet potato—is closest to the heat’s source on the bottom.
Keep it Healthy: If you can't find bottom round beef roast for this beef stew, go for another lean cut of beef like bottom eye roast or top round. Sometimes grocery stores will also sell meat labeled as "stew meat" just be sure it is lean.
Tip: Trying to get this beef stew going before work in the morning? Do a majority of the prep work the evening before, cutting up the beef, sweet potato, and carrots. Save the potato chopping for right before adding into the slow cooker because it will discolor if cut in advance.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Cut the bottom round beef roast into 1-inch cubes and add into a 4-to 6-quart slow-cooker bowl. Chop the potato into 1/2-inch dice, adding to the beef cubes, along with the flour. Use a spoon to stir mixture together.
- 2 Cut the sweet potato into 1/2-inch dice and thinly slice carrots. Add the sweet potato and carrots into the slow cooker bowl over the meat. Top with the pearl onions, diced tomatoes, beef broth, water, thyme, salt, and pepper.
- 3 Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook until beef is tender, about 10 to 12 hours on low heat or 5 to 6 hours on high heat. Right before serving, stir in the frozen peas and dried parsley. Cover and let peas cook, about 5 to 10 minutes. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.4 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||42.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6.9 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
2 1/2 lean meat, 2 starch, 3 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Harvest Beef Stew has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box