Grilled Tequila-Lime Chicken with Grilled Asparagus
A little dip in tequila brings mega flavor to these boneless, skinless chicken breasts. If you have mezcal on hand, consider substituting it for the tequila for a similar yet smokier touch.
- 1/4 cup tequila
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 1/2 cup fresh lime juice (about 4 to 6 limes)
- 2 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 tablespoon minced canned chipotle pepper + 2 tablespoons adobo sauce
- 1 1/2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 3 bunches asparagus spears, ends removed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper (divided)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil
Cooking Tip: When alcohol is the part of a marinade, be careful when cooking. On the grill or on the stovetop, there can be a potential flare up from the residual alcohol.
Keep it Healthy: Consider making extra of this dish to create an easy lunch for a few days. Simply chop it up and mix into couscous for a salad, incorporating a variety of ingredients like chopped tomatoes and cucumbers.
Tip: Don’t soak meat too long (more than 24 hours) in marinades with a large amount of citrus, like this one. Otherwise, the meat can begin to breakdown and turn mushy.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Into a small bowl, add tequila, lime zest, lime juice, garlic, chipotle pepper, and adobo sauce. Add chicken into a large Ziploc bag along with the marinade. Seal the bag, place in the refrigerator, and let marinate anywhere from 2 to 12 hours.
- 2 To cook, prepare the grill to medium-high heat. Coat the grates with nonstick cooking spray
- 3 Snap the bottom inch off each asparagus and discard ends. Add asparagus to a large dish, along with 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and oil. Mix to combine.
- 4 Remove chicken from marinade, discarding the marinade and wiping most of it off the chicken. Season chicken with 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Place on the grill; cook until chicken is done, about 8 to 12 minutes and registering 165 degrees F on a meat thermometer. Transfer to a plate and cover with foil.
- 5 Add asparagus to the grill, placing asparagus spears in the opposite direction of the grates (or alternatively, use a grilling basket). Grill until tender, about 7 minutes.
- 6 Serve the asparagus with the reserved chicken.
|Total Fat||12.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.7 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7.0 g|
5 lean meat, 3 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Grilled Tequila-Lime Chicken with Grilled Asparagus has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box