Broccoli and Cheese Egg White Scramble on Whole-Wheat English Muffin
This egg white scramble is a great way to get vitamin-packed broccoli onto your breakfast table. If you’re pressed for time in the morning, buy a package of broccoli florets in the produce section instead of starting with a whole head of broccoli.
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh or frozen (thawed) broccoli florets
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 extra-large egg whites or 1 1/4 cups egg white substitute
- 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 whole-wheat English muffins, split and toasted
- 1/4 cup shredded, fat-free cheddar cheese
Cooking Tip: The secret to not overcooking scrambled eggs is to remove the eggs from the heat slightly before being done. The eggs will cook another minute from the carryover heat.
Keep it Healthy: Broccoli isn’t the only vegetable that can be used in this recipe. Any vegetables hanging out in your fridge—think red peppers, green beans, zucchini—can be used instead. Just finely chop them to keep within the cooking time.
Tip: Substitute corn tortillas for English muffins to easily turn this into breakfast tacos. Even consider sautéing 1 chopped tomato and 1 chopped jalapeno with the broccoli for a more Mexican touch to the taco.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Finely chop broccoli. Coat a large nonstick saute pan with cooking spray; warm over medium-high heat. Add broccoli and water; stirring frequently, cook until broccoli is limp, around 4 to 5 minutes. Remove from heat and transfer broccoli to a dish.
- 2 In a bowl, add egg whites, milk, and pepper. Whisk together to combine.
- 3 Split and toast each English muffin; set aside.
- 4 Meanwhile, use a paper towel to wipe the saute pan clean. Coat again with cooking spray and warm over medium-high heat. Add egg whites and use a spatula to stir eggs constantly until whites are almost firm, just a few minutes. Stir in cooked broccoli and cheese; remove from heat.
- 5 To serve, place each English muffin half onto a plate. Divide egg mixture between each muffin, piling high with eggs. Serve with a fork and knife.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © [!--$year--] American Heart Association, Healthy For Good<sup>TM</sup>, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||1.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.1 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0,3 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0,2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18.0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.1 g|
2 lean meat, 1 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Broccoli and Cheese Egg White Scramble on Whole-Wheat English Muffin has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box