Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Sauteed Greens with Pecans
Chicken breasts braise in a slow-simmering mushroom sauce and are served with a variety of greens mixed with the crunch of pecans.
- 1 (10-ounce) container baby bella mushrooms, sliced (about 4 cups)
- 2 portobello mushrooms, cleaned, halved and thinly sliced (about 4 cups)
- 1 (8-ounce) container sliced white button musrooms (about 4 cups)
- 4, (6-ounce) skinless, boneless whole chicken cutlets
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 4 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2 teaspoons canola oil (divided)
- 1, (5-ounce) container baby kale
- 2, (5-ounce) container baby spinach
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped, unsalted pecans
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
Cooking Tip: Mushrooms absorb oil as they sauté—the more oil added, the more these little sponges will soak it up. The best way to combat this is by cooking in a nonstick pan which needs minimal oil.
Keep it Healthy: Using fat-free sour cream or fat-free cream cheese is an easy low-fat way to create a creamy sauce. Just note that for sour cream, stir it into the pan off the heat otherwise the sour cream can curdle.
Tip: Any combination of chopped mushrooms can be used, as long as it equals 12 cups and are chopped into similar sized slices.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare all the mushrooms: wipe the baby bell mushrooms with a wet paper towel. Trim and discard the ends and thinly sliced each mushroom. Next, clean the portobello mushrooms by removing and discarding each stem. Use a spoon to scrape the black gills from the underside of each mushroom; discard gills. Slice each portobello in half and then thinly slice each half vertically. Halve any white mushroom halves that are much larger than the others.
- 2 Season chicken with ¼ teaspoon salt plus a dash of pepper. Add 2 teaspoons oil to a large nonstick sauté pan or a large Dutch oven. Warm over medium-high heat and add chicken cutlets. Sauté until both sides of chicken are golden, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer chicken to a plate and reserve.
- 3 Add remaining 2 teaspoons oil to the pan, continuing to cook over medium-high heat. Add all the mushroom slices, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are softened. Stir in pepper, thyme, and water. Use tongs to place chicken back into the pan. Increase heat to high; when boiling, cover with a lid and reduce heat to medium. Cook until chicken is done (cut thickest piece in the center to make sure juices run clear), about 15 minutes.
- 4 Meanwhile, prepare the sautéed greens. Add oil into a large nonstick sauté pan and warm over medium-high heat. Add all the baby kale, stirring constantly until wilted, about 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat, adding spinach and garlic, stirring constantly until wilted, another 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, and pecans. Remove from heat. Drizzle vinegar over the greens and transfer to a platter.
- 5 When chicken is fully cooked, use tongs to transfer chicken breasts to the platter (on top of the greens). Increase the heat to high; add flour to the mushrooms, stirring constantly as the mushroom liquid thickens slightly, a few minutes. Remove from heat and stir in sour cream until dissolved. Pour mushroom sauce over chicken and serve.
|Total Fat||15.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.9 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.0 g|
5 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 3 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken with Creamy Mushroom Sauce and Sauteed Greens with Pecans has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box