Beef Sliders with Avocado, Roasted Poblano Pepper, and Cotija Cheese
These mini burgers offer a taste of southwestern cuisine.
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 3/4 lb extra-lean ground beef
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 8 whole-wheat slider buns (lowest sodium available)
- 1 Tbsp plus 1 tsp crumbled cotija cheese
- 1 large Italian plum (Roma) tomato (about 3 inches), cut crosswise into 8 slices
- 1 medium avocado (mashed with a fork)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 500 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- 2 Put the peppers on the baking sheet. Place on the middle rack of the oven. Roast for 10 minutes. Turn over the peppers. Roast for 10 minutes, or until the skins are charred and blistered. Remove from the oven. Put the peppers in a medium bowl. Cover with plastic wrap. Set aside for 10 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, using your hands or a spoon, shape the beef into 8 thin patties, each about 3 inches in diameter. (The uncooked patties will be larger than the buns and will shrink as they cook.) Sprinkle the patties with the salt.
- 4 Preheat a large nonstick skillet or griddle pan over medium-high heat. Cook the patties for 2 to 3 minutes. Turn over the patties. Cook for 2 minutes, or until the beef is no longer pink.
- 5 Peel the skin off the peppers by gently rubbing them with a dry towel. Remove the seeds and ribs. Cut each pepper into 4 long strips.
- 6 Place each patty on a bottom bun. Sprinkle with the cotija cheese. Top with 1 pepper slice folded in half and 1 tomato slice. Spread the avocado over the tomato. Put the tops of the buns on the sliders.
- 7 Using four short skewers, pierce two sliders with each skewer. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||12.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.8 g|
|Trans Fat||0.1 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.8 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
2 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Beef Sliders with Avocado, Roasted Poblano Pepper, and Cotija Cheese has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box