Avocado-Dark Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts
Avocado adds richness to these chocolaty doughnuts (and is a surprise ingredient in the dark chocolate glaze).
- 1 1/2 cups oat flour (sifted) OR
- 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour (sifted)
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 medium ripe avocado, mashed (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup sugar substitute
- 1 cup fat-free milk or unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 2 Tbsp canola oil OR
- 2 Tbsp corn oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- cooking spray
- 1/3 cup pure dark cacao (chopped)
- 1/2 medium ripe avocado, mashed (about 1/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free milk or unsweetened almond or soy milk
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- 3 In a separate large mixing bowl, using an electric mixer, beat together 1/2 cup avocado and the egg until smooth. Add the sugar substitute. Beat until the mixture is smooth and fluffy.
- 4 Whisk in 1 cup milk, the oil, and vanilla until incorporated.
- 5 Pour the avocado mixture into the flour mixture. Beat on low speed for 1 minute. Increase the speed to medium and beat until the ingredients are well combined. Use a spatula to stir in any of the dry mixture that remains on the sides or bottom of the bowl.
- 6 Lightly spray a 12-cavity doughnut pan with cooking spray. Pour the batter into the wells, filling each three-fourths full (about 1/4 cup in each). Don’t cover the center hole.
- 7 Bake for 13 to 16 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Remove from the oven. Let cool slightly.
- 8 Place a large wire rack on a large baking sheet. Turn out the doughnuts onto the rack.
- 9 In a small bowl, microwave the cacao on 100 percent power (high) for 30 seconds. Remove from the microwave. Stir until fully melted.
- 10 Using an electric mixer, beat the remaining 1/4 cup avocado into the cacao until very smooth. Beat in the remaining 2 tablespoons milk.
- 11 Spread 1 tablespoon of glaze over the top of each doughnut. Sprinkle with the pistachios.
Recipe copyright© 2017 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Healthy For GoodTM movement. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/recipes.
|Total Fat||10.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 starch, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Avocado-Dark Chocolate Glazed Doughnuts has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box