This American dessert recipe is great for summertime family reunions with seasonal, nutrient-dense blackberries.
- 4 cups blackberries
- 1/4 cup sugar substitute and 1/2 cup sugar substitute, divided use
- 1/4 cup water
- Juice from 1 medium lime
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk
- 1/4 cup canola or corn oil
- 1/4 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
On the blackberries: This sweet-tart fruit is nutrient dense. Look for plump berries with a dark, rich color.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F. Lightly spray a 13 x 9 x 2-inch baking pan with cooking spray.
- 2 In a medium bowl, gently stir together the berries, 1/4 cup sugar substitute, the water, lime juice, and ginger. Let the berry mixture stand for at least 15 minutes so the juices can accumulate.
- 3 In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, salt, and the remaining 1/2 cup sugar substitute.
- 4 In a large bowl, whisk together the milk, oil, yogurt, and vanilla.
- 5 Add the flour mixture to the milk mixture, stirring just until no flour is visible. Don’t overmix.
- 6 Pour the batter into the baking pan. Using a spatula, spread the batter in the pan. (The batter doesn’t have to touch the edge of the pan; it will spread while baking.) Top with the berry mixture.
- 7 Bake for 50 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||28 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 other carbohydrate, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Blackberry Cobbler has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box