Curried Pumpkin Soup
In addition to providing protein for this entrée soup, tofu contributes to its creaminess. Serve it at home as an entrée, tote it to work for a satisfying lunch, or serve small portions as a starter course for dinner with friends.
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 2, 15 oz cans pumpkin (not pie filling)
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 12 ounces light, firm tofu (drained, patted dry, chopped)
- 1, 12 oz can fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1/4 cup unsalted shelled pepitas (pumpkin seeds), dry-roasted
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh cilantro
Cooking Tip: On the Pepitas: Popular in Mexican cooking, pepitas are small green pumpkin seeds without the hull. Look for them in the Hispanic section of the supermarket.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large saucepan, heat the oil over medium-low heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the shallots for 2 to 3 minutes, or until soft, stirring occasionally.
- 2 Stir in the pumpkin, broth, tofu, milk, maple syrup, curry powder, salt, and cayenne.
- 3 In a food processor or blender (vent the blender lid), process the soup in batches until smooth. Carefully return the soup to the pan.
- 4 Cook, still over medium-low heat, for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the soup is heated through, stirring occasionally.
- 5 Just before serving, sprinkle with the pepitas and cilantro.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 9th Edition. Copyright © 2017 by the American Heart Association. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase this cookbook from Shop Heart This recipe is reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, 9th Edition. Copyright © 2017 by the American Heart Association. Published by Harmony Books, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||5.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||25 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
1 starch, 1/2 fat-free milk, 1 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Curried Pumpkin Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box