Avocado Blueberry - Avo-Berry Muffins
Avocado substitutes for the butter or oil used in most blueberry muffin recipes. Except for the slight green hue provided by the avocado, you’ll never be the wiser as to the swap in these scrumptious breakfast muffins.
- Cooking spray (optional)
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted, mashed with a fork)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/16 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups blueberries
Cooking Tip: You can substitute raspberries or strawberries for the blueberries.
Keep it Healthy: Experiment with other baked goods recipes and use 1 mashed avocado in place of 1/2 cup butter or oil.
Tip: Store the muffins in an airtight container for up to five days.
Tip: Make It Kid-Friendly: Kids can do the measuring for most of the ingredients in this recipe, like the sugar and flour. They can also fold the blueberries into the batter and push the toothpick into a muffin to check for doneness.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 375°F. Lightly spray a standard 12-cup muffin pan with cooking spray or line it with paper bake cups.
- 2 In a large bowl, stir together the avocado, sugar, milk, eggs, and vanilla.
- 3 In a medium bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, ginger, and salt.
- 4 In two to three batches, stir the flour mixture into the avocado mixture until just combined but no flour is visible; don’t overmix. Gently fold in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the muffin cups.
- 5 Bake for 25 to 30 minutes, or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and the muffins are golden brown, turning the pan once after 15 minutes of baking time.
- 6 Transfer the pan to a cooling rack. Let stand for 5 minutes.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1/2 fruit, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Avocado Blueberry - Avo-Berry Muffins has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box