Fitter Corn Fritters with Avocado
These fritters can be served as an afternoon snack, a side dish for dinner, or drizzled with a hint of pure maple syrup for breakfast.
- 3 large ears of corn, husks and silk discarded, kernels cut off the cobs
- 2 large eggs
- 1 avocado (halved, pitted, coarsely mashed with a fork)
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 tablespoons chopped, fresh chives
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper (freshly ground)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons canola or corn oil and 1 1/2 teaspoons canola or corn oil, divided use
- Cooking spray
Cooking Tip: You can use three cups of frozen corn to replace the fresh corn in the recipe. Make sure you thaw the corn and drain off any excess liquid.
Keep it Healthy: You can also use canned corn for this recipe, but be sure you buy the no-salt-added variety. One half-cup of regular canned corn contains about 300 milligrams of sodium.
Tip: To remove the kernels from the cob without making a mess, invert a small bowl inside a large bowl. Stand the cob on the small bowl, and using a sharp knife, slowly slice down the cob, letting the kernels fall into the large bowl.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium bowl, stir together the corn, eggs, avocado, flour, milk, chives, baking powder, salt, and pepper.
- 2 In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Lightly spray a 1/4-cup measuring cup with cooking spray. Using the measuring cup, scoop up the avocado mixture and mound it in the skillet. Fit as many fritters as you can without overcrowding the skillet (about 5). Gently press them down using a spatula that has been lightly sprayed with cooking spray.
- 3 Cook the fritters for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Turn over the fritters. Gently press them down with the spatula. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Transfer to a large plate or platter lined with paper towels.
- 4 In the same skillet, still over medium-high heat, heat the remaining 1 1/2 teaspoons oil, swirling to coat the bottom. Repeat the cooking process with the remaining batter. Reduce the heat if the fritters are cooking too fast and starting to burn. Serve warm.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||6.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||17 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
1 starch, 1/2 lean meat, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Fitter Corn Fritters with Avocado has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box