Columbian Cream of Avocado Soup
This soup—served at room temperature—is lovely, creamy avocado goodness at its best. Having a cookout? Serve this in shot glasses before the grilling starts.
- 3 medium avocados (halved, pitted)
- 1 cup light silken tofu (drained, patted dry)
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk and (as needed) 1/4 cup fat-free milk, divided use OR
- 1/2 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth and (as needed) 1/4 cup fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth, divided use
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped, fresh cilantro (optional) OR
- 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped, fresh chives (optional)
- 2 medium (cut into 4 wedges)
Cooking Tip: Since the avocado in this recipe is puréed, it doesn’t have to be perfectly ripe.
Keep it Healthy: The silken tofu in this recipe stands in for heavy cream, creating creaminess without the saturated fat. Use silken tofu as a substitute for heavy cream in other creamy soup recipes as well.
Tip: Although this soup is best served immediately, it can be covered and refrigerated to serve later. However, because there’s not much acid in the soup, it will turn brown when refrigerated, even if only for a few hours, so be sure to stir it before serving.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a food processor or blender, process the avocados, tofu, 1/2 cup milk, lime juice, salt, and pepper until smooth, adding the remaining 1/4 cup milk if the soup is thicker than the desired consistency.
- 2 Pour the soup into bowls. Top each with 1 1/2 teaspoons sour cream. Garnish with the cilantro and lime wedges. Serve immediately.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 vegetable, 1/2 fat-free milk, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Columbian Cream of Avocado Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box