Panzanella Salad with Avocado and Tomatoes
This twist on an Italian panzanella salad has the croutons and vegetables coated with a creamy avocado dressing. It’s the perfect summer side dish to pair with chicken or steak or to bring to a potluck.
- 1/2 French baguette (lowest sodium available), cut into 6 cups of bread cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil and 3 tablespoons canola or corn oil, divided use
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 cups tightly packed fresh basil (about 1 bunch)
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted, coarsely chopped)
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons water plus 1 to 2 tablespoons water, as needed
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced (about 2 cups)
- 1 medium English, or hothouse, cucumber, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped red onion
- 2 teaspoons chopped capers (drained)
Cooking Tip: Because English cucumbers are seedless, they release less liquid than other types of cucumbers, making them ideal for salads. For other types of cucumber, use a spoon to remove and discard the seeds before adding the cucumber to a salad.
Keep it Healthy: When making salad dressings, use mashed or puréed avocado instead of extra oil to add thickness and flavor.
Tip: While basil is the traditional herb used in a panzanella salad, you can substitute other herbs, such as cilantro or parsley.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 325°F.
- 2 Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Place the bread cubes on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Sprinkle the garlic powder over the bread cubes. Toss to coat. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the croutons are golden brown.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a food processor or blender, process the basil for 15 to 30 seconds, or just until finely chopped. Add the avocado, vinegar, and salt. Pour the remaining 3 tablespoons oil and 3 tablespoons water through the feeder tube. Add 1 to 2 tablespoons more water if the salad dressing is thicker than the desired consistency.
- 4 Put the tomatoes, cucumber, onion, capers, and croutons in a large bowl.
- 5 Pour the dressing over the salad and croutons, tossing to coat.
- 6 Serve immediately or let stand for 30 minutes so the croutons can absorb the dressing.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||11.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||21 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 starch, 1 vegetable, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Panzanella Salad with Avocado and Tomatoes has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box