Chilled Peanut-Noodle Salad with Avocado, Cucumber, and Sesame Seeds
When the main ingredients in a recipe are pantry staples like lower sodium peanut butter and whole-grain spaghetti, you can whip up this Asian recipe at a moment’s notice.
- 12 ounces dried, whole-grain spaghetti
- 1 cup frozen, shelled edamame (green soybeans) (thawed)
- 1/2 cup creamy, low-sodium peanut butter
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 minced, peeled
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted, diced)
- 1 cup shredded carrots
- 1/2 medium English, or hothouse, cucumber, diced
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
Cooking Tip: For a different flavor, substitute other nut or seed butters, such as sunflower seed butter or almond butter, for the peanut butter.
Keep it Healthy: When making pasta, try adding vegetables to the boiling water during the last few minutes of cooking time. It’s a quick way to bulk up a pasta meal with more veggies.
-- Lightly spray the 1/2-cup measuring cup before adding the peanut butter. The cooking spray will help the peanut butter slide easily out of the cup.
Tip: Make it Kid-Friendly: Kids can measure and stir together the ingredients for the peanut butter sauce. They can also stir it into the noodles and sprinkle the sesame seeds over the noodles.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. During the last minute of cooking, stir in the edamame. Reserve 1/4 cup pasta cooking water. Transfer the pasta mixture to a colander. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well. Transfer to a large serving bowl.
- 2 In a small bowl, using a fork, whisk together the peanut butter, sesame oil, soy sauce, gingerroot, and garlic powder. Whisk in the reserved pasta water until combined.
- 3 Pour the sauce over the pasta. Stir together using tongs.
- 4 In a small bowl, gently stir together the avocado, carrots, and cucumber.
- 5 Sprinkle the sesame seeds over the pasta. Top with the avocado mixture.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||16.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||41 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
2 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 1 lean meat, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chilled Peanut-Noodle Salad with Avocado, Cucumber, and Sesame Seeds has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box