Crunchy Chicken with Oven-Roasted Broccoli
Simple Cooking with Heart helps you satisfy your craving for something crunchy with this baked chicken recipe. Serve with oven roasted broccoli, sprinkled with chopped nuts.
NOTE: you can save time by using boneless, skinless chicken breast halves but using the whole chicken and quartering and skinning yourself can save some money. But be sure you don't mind eating off of bones if you use the whole chicken.
- 2 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 cup multigrain cereal flakes (crushed)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 lb fresh broccoli crowns (rinsed, trimmed)
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic OR
- 2 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 tsp low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 Tbsp chopped, unsalted, uncoiled nuts (almonds, pecans or walnuts suggested – whatever is on sale will work)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Heat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse chicken and pat dry. Remove giblets and neck and discard. Quarter chicken and remove and discard skin.
- 2 In a medium bowl, toss the chicken and mustard to coat. [If you’re using chicken breasts, just rinse and pat dry.]
- 3 In a large bowl, mix the crushed cereal, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Coat the chicken with the cereal mixture and bake on a baking sheet until golden and cooked through, 45 to 50 minutes.
- 1 Heat oven to 400 degrees F (or can use same oven as chicken). Rinse broccoli, trim stalks into 1/8 inch-thick chunks and cut florets into bit sized pieces. Place in a mixing bowl and toss with soy sauce, oil, pepper, and garlic.
- 2 Sprinkle the chopped nuts evenly in to a 9x13 inch casserole dish. Place in the oven 3-4 minutes until lightly toasted. Remove from oven and toss in to broccoli mixture.
- 3 Transfer broccoli mixture to casserole dish and roast 10-12 minutes until broccoli is tender. Serve warm.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||8.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||29 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable, 4 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Crunchy Chicken with Oven-Roasted Broccoli has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box