This Simple Cooking with Heart classic Italian recipe has a healthy twist to include lots of veggies along with some other nutritious ingredients to make it a heart healthy entree that tastes delicious!
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 clove fresh, minced garlic OR
- 4 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 1 1/2 cups fresh, chopped kale (about 3 leaves), cut into bite-size pieces, stems discarded OR
- 1 1/2 cups frozen spinach (thawed)
- 3 cups fresh spinach (stems discarded, packed tightly)
- 2 1/2 cups eggplant or summer squash, (about 1 small eggplant or 2 squash), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 1/2 cups tomatoes (diced) OR
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomatoes (diced)
- 1 lb. extra-lean, ground beef or turkey, 95% lean or more
- 2, 1/4 cups white mushrooms (sliced)
- 1 cup low-sodium, or, no-salt-added cannellini beans (drained, rinsed)
- 3/4 tsp. black pepper (divided use)
- 2 tsp. dried, salt-free herbs, Italian blend, divided use
- 1/2 cup low-moisture, part-skim mozzarella (shredded)
- 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 3 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
- 9 whole-grain sheets lasagna noodles
- 1 Tbsp. no-salt-added tomato paste
- 8 oz. canned, no salt added tomato sauce
Cooking Tip: This can be made ahead and frozen or leftovers can be frozen and served again another time. Bake at 350° F degrees for 30-45 minutes, until lasagna is bubbly and cheese is melted.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350° F.
- 2 Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions; omitting salt, butter and oil.
- 3 In a saucepan, heat oil. Add garlic and onion and cook over medium heat for about 4 minutes. Add kale (or spinach), tomatoes and eggplant (or squash) and pepper and cook 3 minutes. Turn up heat to medium-high, add ground beef or turkey and cook until meat browns slightly and liquid is absorbed. Add mushrooms, beans, vinegar, tomato paste, and tomato sauce. Stir in red pepper flakes, 1 teaspoon dried herbs, ½ teaspoon of pepper. Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- 4 Mix together mozzarella and 1 teaspoon dried herbs.
- 5 In a 9x13 ovenproof dish, place 3 lasagna sheets, one third of lasagna filling and half of ricotta in small clumps. Repeat placing the lasagna sheets, filling and ricotta step. Top with 3 more lasagna sheets, remaining filling and top with mozzarella mixture. Bake for 30 minutes.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||7.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Lasagna has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box