Seared Chicken with Strawberry Salsa
Luscious strawberries are a different but delectable choice for this salsa, although you can substitute mango or peaches if you prefer. Whatever fruit you choose, the sweet and spicy salsa pairs perfectly with seared chicken breasts. Serve with mild sides to keep the flavor focus on this mealtime star.
- 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/4 tsp. ground allspice OR
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves, (about 4 ounces each), all visible fat discarded
- 1 cup diced, hulled strawberries, mango, or peeled peaches
- 1 medium poblano pepper (seeds and ribs discarded, diced) OR
- 3/4 medium green bell pepper (diced)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh mint or cilantro
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tsp. canola or corn oil
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a small bowl, stir together the paprika, allspice, salt, and pepper. Sprinkle over the smooth side of the chicken. Using your fingertips, gently press the mixture so it adheres to the chicken. Let stand for 10 minutes.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a medium bowl, stir together the salsa ingredients.
- 3 In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the chicken with the smooth side down for 4 minutes. Turn over. Cook for 2-4 minutes, or until no longer pink in the center.
- 4 Serve the salsa with the chicken.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook, 2nd Edition. Copyright © 2014 by the American Diabetes Association, Inc.® and American Heart Association. Published by the American Diabetes Association. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Diabetes & Heart Healthy Cookbook
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Trans Fat||0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 carbohydrate, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Seared Chicken with Strawberry Salsa has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box