One-Dish Beefy Rice Casserole
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a family favorite that is easy to make and freezes well for another week-night quick dinner.
Your family will adore this scrumptious beef and rice dish, not even realizing it has healthy cabbage that disappears into the casserole. This traditional cabbage and black-eyed pea good luck meal makes an easy dinner year round.
- 6 cups shredded cabbage OR
- 1 14 - oz. packaged cole slaw mix
- 1 cup brown rice (uncooked)
- 1 lb. extra-lean, ground sirloin
- 1, 10-oz. canned, diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1, 14- oz. canned, low-sodium beef broth
- 1, 15- oz. canned black-eyed peas (rinsed, drained)
- salt and pepper (to taste)
Tip: Any canned beans may be used in this recipe from pinto beans to your favorite choice.
Tip: Look for bags of coleslaw in the grocery to use for shredded cabbage.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 350°F.
- 2 In a large oven-proof pot, layer the cabbage, rice, meat, , tomatoes and green chilies, and beef broth.
- 3 Cook, covered with foil or lid, 1 hour 40 minutes, stirring after 40 minutes, and continue cooking, covered, until rice is tender and liquid absorbed. Stir in the black-eyed peas and season to taste.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||3.8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.4 g|
|Trans Fat||0.2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
2 lean meat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! One-Dish Beefy Rice Casserole has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box