Quinoa and Asian Pear Salad - Delicious Decisions
Crisp Asian pear, snow peas, and red bell pepper contrast with fluffy quinoa in this pecan-studded salad. The simple dressing, with a touch of lemon and toasted sesame oil, makes this an ideal accompaniment for grilled fish or chicken.
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa (rinsed, drained)
- 4 oz. snow peas (trimmed)
- Asian pear, chopped into 1/2-inch pieces, peeled
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (diced)
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (dry-roasted)
- 1 medium green onion (chopped, (green part only))
- 1 tsp. sesame seeds (dry-roasted)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1 tsp. toasted sesame oil
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Cooking Tip: To prevent the Asian pear from browning, place the chopped pieces in cold water until you’re ready to use them. If Asian pears aren’t available, you can substitute a sweet eating apple, such as a Gala, or another crisp pear, such as a Bosc.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the quinoa using the package directions, omitting the salt. Transfer to a medium bowl. Fluff with a fork. Let cool.
- 2 Meanwhile, fill a small saucepan halfway with water. Bring to a boil over high heat. Cook the snow peas for about 45 seconds, or until bright green and tender-crisp. Drain in a colander. Plunge into a bowl of cold water to stop the cooking process. Drain well in a colander. Cut the snow peas into 1/2-inch pieces.
- 3 Stir the snow peas, pear, bell pepper, pecans, green onion, and sesame seeds into the quinoa.
- 4 In a small bowl, whisk together the remaining ingredients. Stir into the quinoa mixture, tossing gently to coat. Let stand for 15 minutes so the flavors blend. Serve at room temperature or cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to serve chilled.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association The Go Red For Women Cookbook, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||8.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||26 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Quinoa and Asian Pear Salad - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box