Fettuccine Alfredo - Delicious Decisions
Now you can have all the richness of Alfredo sauce with only a fraction of the usual sodium, saturated fat, and calories. The addition of lemon gives this dish a fresh twist.
- 16 oz. dried, whole-grain fettuccine
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk and 1 1/4 cups fat-free milk, divided use
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup grated or shredded Parmesan cheese and 1 1/2 Tbsp. grated or shredded Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. grated, shredded, or Parmesan cheese, divided use
- 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1/8 tsp. pepper (white preferred)
- 2 Tbsp. finely snipped, fresh parsley
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 medium cut lemon (cut into 4 wedges, optional)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain well in a colander. Cover to keep warm.
- 2 Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk together 1/4 cup milk and the flour until smooth. Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Pour the mixture into the saucepan.
- 3 Whisk in the remaining 1 1/4 cups milk. Bring to a boil. Cook for 15 minutes, or until thickened, stirring constantly with a flat spatula to keep the sauce from sticking to the bottom of the pan.
- 4 Stir in 1/4 cup Parmesan and the lemon juice and pepper.
- 5 Transfer the pasta to a platter. Pour the sauce over the pasta. Sprinkle with the parsley, salt, and remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons Parmesan. Garnish with the lemon wedges.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Low-Salt Cookbook, Fourth Edition, Copyright © 2011 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
|Total Fat||2.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||47 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
3 starch, 1/2 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Fettuccine Alfredo - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box