Fish Fillets with Fresh Tomatoes
This simple seafood dish can be an easy weeknight meal or an elegant dinner.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1 large rib of celery, chopped
- 1/3 cup chopped onion
- 3 large garlic cloves, crushed or minced
- 10-12 oz. Italian plum (Roma) tomatoes (chopped)
- 1 small carrot (thinly sliced)
- 1 small dried bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. (heaping) ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 4 thin, mild fish fillets, such as sole, cod or tilapia (about 4 ounces each), rinsed, patted dry
- 1 1/2-2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- chopped parsley (optional)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the celery, onion, and garlic for about 2 minutes, stirring constantly, adjusting the heat if necessary so the mixture doesn’t brown. Stir in the tomatoes, carrot, bay leaf, pepper, cinnamon, and salt. Cook for 5 minutes.
- 2 Make 4 depressions in the tomato mixture. Place the fish in the depressions. Spoon the tomato mixture over the fish to cover. Cook for 3 to 5 minutes, or until the fish is almost done (there should be just a little resistance when you try to flake the fish with a fork). Remove from the heat.
- 3 Drizzle the fish with the lemon juice. Let stand, covered, for about 5 minutes so the fish finishes cooking and the flavors blend. Discard the bay leaf. Garnish with the parsley.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks.
|Total Fat||8.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||5.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|
3 lean meat, 1 1/2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Fish Fillets with Fresh Tomatoes has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box