Spinach-Stuffed Baked Salmon
Get some heart-healthy omega-3 fats with this vegetable and seafood dish.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 1 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 2 oz. spinach
- 1 tsp. grated lemon zest
- 1/4 cup chopped, roasted red bell peppers, rinsed and drained if bottled
- 1/4 cup fresh basil (coarsely chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts
- Cooking spray
- 4 salmon fillets (about 4 ounces each), rinsed, patted dry
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard (lowest sodium available)
- 2 Tbsp. plain dry bread crumbs, lowest sodium available
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
Tip: Serving size 3 ounces fish and 1/2 cup vegetables
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the spinach and lemon zest for 2 minutes, or until the spinach is wilted, stirring constantly. Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the roasted peppers, basil, and walnuts. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- 2 Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Lightly spray the foil with cooking spray.
- 3 Cut a lengthwise slit in the side of each fillet to make a pocket for the stuffing. Be careful to not cut through to the other side. With a spoon or your fingers, carefully stuff a scant 1/2 cup spinach mixture into each fillet. Transfer to the baking sheet. With a pastry brush or spoon, spread the mustard over the fish.
- 4 In a small bowl, stir together the remaining ingredients. Sprinkle over the fish. Lightly spray the top with cooking spray.
- 5 Bake for 12 to 13 minutes, or until the fish is the desired doneness and the filling is heated through.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
|Total Fat||8.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
3 lean meat, 1/2 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Spinach-Stuffed Baked Salmon has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box