French-Style Bean Stew
This savory vegetarian stew will make meatlovers forget there's no meat!
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 2 medium dried bay leaves
- 6 cups water
- 8 oz. dried black beans, sorted for stones and shriveled beans, rinsed, drained
- 2 medium carrots (chopped)
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (regular or nonalcoholic)
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried fennel seeds (crushed)
- 4 medium garlic cloves (crushed, minced)
- 8 oz. dried Great Northern beans or other dried white beans, sorted for stones and shriveled beans, rinsed, drained
- 1 large green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/4 cup light or dark molasses
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 1/2-3/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 3 medium ribs of celery
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 dried thyme (crushed)
- 16 oz. canned, no-salt-added tomato sauce
- 1 1/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a Dutch oven, stir together the water and beans. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat. Let stand, covered, for 1 hour. Or, put the water and beans in a large bowl. Let stand, covered, for 6 to 12 hours. With either method, drain the beans in a colander, rinse, and drain again. Set aside.
- 2 When the beans are ready, dry the Dutch oven and lightly spray with cooking spray. Cook the celery, carrots, bell pepper, onion, and garlic over medium heat for 20 minutes, or until tender, stirring occasionally. Stir in the remaining ingredients and the beans. Increase the heat to high and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the beans are tender, adding water if necessary and stirring occasionally. Discard the bay leaves before serving the stew.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks.
|Total Fat||1.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||3.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||68 g|
|Dietary Fiber||13 g|
1 lean meat, 4 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! French-Style Bean Stew has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box