Overnight No-Cook Banana Oatmeal
For a weekday morning rush, you’ll be glad you prepared this American, Simple Cooking with Heart breakfast recipe the evening before. Or, let your child take the reins and mix the oatmeal together.
- 2 1/2 cup skim milk
- 1 Tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant or quick-cooking)
- 2 bananas, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped, unsalted pecans or walnuts
Cooking Tip: Play around with the combination of oats to milk ratio. Like an oatmeal with a thicker consistency? Use more oats. Prefer it liquidy? Go higher on the milk.
Keep it Healthy: Add a variety of goodies into the oatmeal when preparing it the night before like dried fruit, unsweetened coconut, pumpkin seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, etc. Chopped fresh fruit, like bananas, go brown if added the night before; it’s best to top with fresh fruit right before eating.
Tip: Baking raw, dry oats for 1 hour at 250F can help make sure foods are safe and prevent food-born illnesses.
Tip: Natural sweeteners such as maple syrup or honey are a great way to add a touch of sweetness instead of sugar. Even a little bit of fruit juice like orange juice can provide sweetness.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large, re-sealable container or bowl, add milk, honey, and extract. Stir to combine, adding oats and stirring to combine. Seal or cover; place in the refrigerator and let it sit overnight.
- 2 The next day, peel each banana. Halve each one lengthwise and slice. Divide sliced bananas and nuts over each oatmeal portion. Serve.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||9.7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.4 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||74 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|
1 fat-free milk, 1 fruit, 3 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Overnight No-Cook Banana Oatmeal has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box