Avocado and Shrimp Salad
Diced apple brings a sweet crunchiness to this tangy shrimp salad, which is elegant enough to serve as lunch for guests yet portable enough to add to a container for a work lunch.
- 2 Tbsp fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 2 teaspoon canola oil
- 3 teaspoons lime juice
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 small apple, cored and finely diced
- 1 1/2 cups finely chopped celery (about 3 stalks)
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions
- 1 pound large cooked, peeled shrimp, tails removed and chopped
- 1 avocado (pitted, peeled, diced)
- 4 large pieces Bibb lettuce (optional)
Cooking Tip: To use large raw shrimp, add to a large pot of boiling water and cook until all the shrimp turn pink, just a few minutes. Drain in a colander and place shrimp under cold water to stop from continuing to cook.
Keep it Healthy: Be wary of shrimp labeled “easy-peel,” as those shrimp have been washed in a salt solution to help ease the shrimp out of their shells which translates to unexpected extra sodium.
Tip: The acid in the lime juice and yogurt help keep both the apples and avocado from turning brown.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large bowl, add yogurt, oil, lime juice, salt, and pepper. Use a fork to whisk until combined.
- 2 Core the apple and finely dice it; finely chop the celery too. Add both apples and celery into the bowl. Chop both the cilantro and scallions, adding into the bowl too.
- 3 If tails remain on the shrimp, remove and discard each of them. Chop the shrimp and add to the bowl, mixing together to combine all the ingredients.
- 4 Slice the avocado in half and remove the pit. Use a knife to gently make a cross-hatch pattern into the avocado's flesh. Use a spoon to scoop out diced avocado from the flesh and add to the bowl.
- 5 Gently mix ingredients together. Serve immediately or chill salad in the refrigerator for a couple hours. If desired, spoon salad onto Bibb lettuce cups to serve.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||10.2 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.3 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||12.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.1 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1/2 fruit, 4 lean meat, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Avocado and Shrimp Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box