Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Balsamic Drizzle
Threading fruit onto skewers creates a fun-looking dessert for kids and adults alike. A balsamic-honey glaze adds sweet tartness.
- 8, (9 to 12 inch) skewers
- 2 cups pineapple chunks
- 2 cups watermelon chunks
- 2 bananas (peeled, cut into large chunks)
- 1, (16-ounce) package strawberries (stems discarded)
- 2 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Cooking Tip: Cutting the fruit into thick pieces to wedge onto the skewers helps ensure that they stay put during the grilling process.
Keep it Healthy: Consider a twist on the fruit salad by grilling large slices of fruit like watermelon, pineapple, peaches, pears, mangos and more. Chop and toss with a bit of olive oil and lime juice for a fruit salad.
Tip: It's easier to buy containers of already chopped fruit like watermelon and pineapple in a pinch; however, sometimes it's cheaper to buy an entire pineapple or a halved watermelon and chop it yourself.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 If using wooden skewers, make sure to soak them in water for at least 30 minutes.
- 2 Prepare a grill to medium-high heat. Prepare the fruit by chopping 2 cups pineapple and 2 cups watermelon. Peel and thickly slice bananas and remove stems from strawberries.
- 3 Thread fruit onto the 8 skewers, aiming for 2 pieces of each fruit per skewer: strawberry, pineapple, watermelon, banana, strawberry, pineapple, watermelon, and banana. Place onto a platter or a baking sheet.
- 4 In a small bowl, add vinegar, honey, and oil. Whisk together with a fork. Use a basting brush to glaze fruit with about half the balsamic mixture.
- 5 Add fruit kabobs to the grill. Turning a couple times while cooking and basting with remaining balsamic mixture, until fruit is caramelized about 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from grill and serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||4.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.3 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.2 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43.1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5.3 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1 fat, 3 fruit
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Grilled Fruit Kebabs with Balsamic Drizzle has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box