Fresh ginger adds a delightful kick to this bisque that delivers on richness without the fat of heavy cream. To turn this into an appetizer for the holidays, consider adding a mound of fresh crabmeat to the center of each soup.
- 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 onion (finely chopped)
- 3/4 Tbsp minced, fresh gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon fresh or jarred minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1, (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2, (15-ounce) can pumpkin puree
- 1 cup skim milk
- 1/4 cup fat-free sour cream, to serve (optional)
- 2 Tbsp chopped chives (optional)
Cooking Tip: If you can't find gingerroot, substitute the 3/4 tablespoon fresh ginger with 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger.
Keep it Healthy: Ginger—fresh or ground—is a great spice to incorporate into as many recipes as possible. With anti-inflammatory properties, ginger has long been used as a natural way to treat a host of stomach ailments. Add into smoothies, stir-fries, cookies, and more.
Tip: Chop the onion into a very fine dice; if not, consider pureeing the mixture at the end if the chopped onion pieces are too big.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a large heavy-duty pot, warm oil over medium-high heat. Add minced onion, stirring occasionally and sauteeing until soft, about 6 to 8 minutes
- 2 Stir in ginger, garlic, thyme, cinnamon, pepper, and salt. Stirring constantly, let spices cook for 1 minute. Stir in flour and then add vegetable broth and water, using a spatula to scrape the bottom of the pan for caramelized bits. Stir in pumpkin puree. Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat to low so that soup is at a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- 3 Stir in milk and remove from heat. Ladle soup into bowls, garnishing each serving with sour cream and chives, if desired. Serve
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||2.7 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.2 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||26.5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9.8 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
1/2 fat, 1 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Ginger-Pumpkin Bisque has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box