Slow Cooker Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup
Now you don't have to spend hours in the kitchen for the rich flavor of homemade chicken soup. Just add your ingredients to the slow cooker, set it and forget it!
- 2, (1-pound) boneless, skinless chicken breasts (all visible fat discarded)
- 3 cups peeled, sliced carrots (around 1 pound of carrots)
- 3 cups chopped celery
- 2 medium zucchinis, cut into a medium dice
- 1, (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- 6 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons Italian spice blend
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 cup chopped, fresh dill OR
- 2 Tbsp dried dill
- 1 (12-ounce) bag wide egg noodles, cooked according to directions
Cooking Tip: Carrots don't necessarily need to be peeled, although they do look prettier for it. If you're in a rush, just wash them with water and slice without peeling.
Keep it Healthy: The slow cooker is also a great and easy resource to make your own chicken stock. Add 1 or 2 leftover chicken carcasses into a slow cooker along with water and any leftover vegetables in the fridge like carrots, celery, and onions. Let cook on low until flavorful, at least 8 hours.
Tip: To store any leftovers, make sure to separately package the soup from the noodles. Otherwise, the noodles will soak up all the chicken soup broth.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Add chicken breasts to the bottom of a 6-quart (or larger) slow cooker bowl. Top with carrots, celery, zucchini, chicken broth, water, bay leaves, Italian spice blend, garlic powder, black pepper, and salt.
- 2 Cover the slow cooker with a lid and cook until chicken is fully-cooked, about 8 hours on low heat or 4 hours on high heat.
- 3 Using a fork, remove and discard bay leaves from soup. Using tongs, transfer chicken to a medium bowl. Stir in the fresh or dried dill. Turn off heat but leave soup covered to keep warm.
- 4 Let chicken cool and then cut into bite-size pieces. Meanwhile, cook egg noodles according to package directions.
- 5 To serve, portion noodles into the bottom of each bowl. Ladle soup over noodles and serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.1 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.4 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37.7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
3 lean meat, 2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Hearty Chicken Noodle Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box