Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Indian Chicken
Serve this tender spice-packed chicken over brown rice or with whole-wheat pita bread or naan.
- 1, (28-ounce) can no-salt-added, diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp garam masala
- 2 Tbsp mild curry powder
- 2 teaspoons fresh, minced ginger
- 1 teaspoon fresh, minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 Tbsp water
- 3 Tbsp cornstarch (divided)
- 2 lb boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup fat-free, plain yogurt
- 2 Tbsp. dried cilantro, to garnish (optional)
Keep it Healthy: Spice blends like garam masala and curry powder are great options to increase oomph into a dish without added fat or salt. Also, yogurt and spices can be combined for a great marinade for meats.
Tip: The chicken can be served in whole pieces, shredded, or cut into chunks when it is finished in the slow cooker.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Into the bowl of a slow cooker, add canned tomatoes, garam masala, curry powder, ginger, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir to combine.
- 2 In a small bowl, make a cornstarch slurry by adding 3 tablespoons water to 2 tablespoons cornstarch. Stir vigorously until the cornstarch is dissolved. Stir slurry into the tomato mixture.
- 3 Add chicken into the slow cooker, making sure the chicken is halfway covered in the tomato mixture.
- 4 Cover with lid and cook 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low.
- 5 When chicken is fully cooked, turn off the heat. In a small bowl, stir in remaining 1 tablespoon cornstarch into the yogurt. Stir mixture into the slow cooker. Top with cilantro, if desired, and serve.
|Total Fat||4.3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.7 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.3 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||14.4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1.8 g|
4 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Indian Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box