Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing
With many elements of a taco but in salad form, this dish makes a light yet filling lunch. Use the skinless breast meat from a rotisserie chicken for a speedier process; also, double the salad dressing recipe to drizzle over sliced tomatoes as an easy side for a dinner.
- 1 cup packed cilantro leaves and stems
- 1 green onion (roughly chopped)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice (from about 1 lime)
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/2 cup fat-free sour cream
- 1/8 teaspoon
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- pinch sugar
- 1 1/2 cups shredder or chopped cooked chicken breast (from rotisserie or about 1/2 pound raw chicken breasts)
- 6 cups chopped Romaine lettuce hearts
- 1 cup canned, no-salt-added corn kernels (drained, rinsed)
- 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup sliced radishes
- 2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
- 1 avocado (peeled, pitted, diced)
Cooking Tip: If not using rotisserie chicken, simply warm a medium nonstick pan with 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add around ½ pound thinly cut boneless, skinless chicken. Sauté until chicken is fully-cooked, about 5 to 10 minutes depending on thickness. Remove from heat, transfer chicken to a plate, and chop into bite-sized pieces when cool.
Keep it Healthy: Crave a little crunch in your salad? Try a healthy alternative to store-bought chips by making your own crispy tortilla strips. Slice 3 to 4 corn tortillas into 1-inch strips. Warm 2 teaspoons oil in a medium nonstick pan over medium-high heat. Add tortilla strips and, stirring constantly with a spatula, cook until golden and crunchy, about 4 to 5 minutes. Top on the salad.
Tip: This salad (or others) can be layered into mason jars or plastic containers for portable work lunches.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 If using rotisserie chicken, remove the skin from the chicken breast and discard skin. Shred the meat using 2 forks or chop it up into small pieces with a knife. If preparing chicken breasts, use directions below.
- 2 Prepare the vegetables: thinly chop the Romaine hearts; drain the liquid from the canned corn and rinse it; chop the tomatoes; slice the radishes; finely chop the red onion; and peel the avocado, remove the pit, and dice it.
- 3 Onto a large platter or divided equally onto plates, arrange the salad by first layering the lettuce. Top with chicken, corn, tomatoes, radishes, red onion, and avocado.
- 4 Serve with the Creamy Cilantro-Lime Dressing on the side or drizzle it on top of the salad
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||14.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||8.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||25.6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6.9 g|
1 fat, 2 1/2 lean meat, 1 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chicken Taco Salad with Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box