Mason Jar Taco Salad with Avocado-Cilantro Dressing
This taco salad, that fits snugly into four quart-sized, wide-mouth Mason jars, is ideal to make ahead and bring to work, a picnic, or a barbecue.
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro (leaves and stems)
- 2 medium green onions (coarsely chopped)
- 1 medium fresh jalapeño pepper (seeds and ribs discarded, coarsely chopped, optional)
- 1 medium avocado (halved, pitted)
- 2 tablespoons fat-free sour cream
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon water plus more, as needed
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1, 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added kidney beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1, 15.5-ounce can no-salt-added black-eyed peas (rinsed, drained)
- 1/2 medium English, or hothouse, cucumber, chopped
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or cherry tomatoes (halved)
- 1 1/2 cups cooked fresh corn or frozen whole-kernel corn, thawed and drained
- 1 cup sliced radishes
- 1 cup fat-free, shredded Cheddar cheese
- 4 cups shredded romaine or any other greens, such as spinach or arugula, chopped if desired
Cooking Tip: Be sure to drain the beans thoroughly before adding them to the Mason jars, otherwise the extra liquid will dilute the salad dressing.
Keep it Healthy: To bulk up salads so they’re both healthy and filling, add beans or cooked whole grains, tofu, or chicken.
Tip: The salad is layered in the Mason jar in a certain order so that the ingredients stay crisp in the fridge for a few days; the salad dressing is put in first so it stays on the bottom and doesn’t make the other ingredients soggy.
Tip: Make It Kid-Friendly: Let the kids do all the layering of the ingredients in the Mason jars.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a food processor or blender, process the cilantro, green onions, and jalapeño until finely chopped. Process all the remaining dressing ingredients until smooth, adding more water if needed so the salad dressing is the desired consistency.
- 2 Put 4 Mason jars on a work surface. Remove the lids. Divide the salad ingredients among the jars in the following order: salad dressing, beans, black-eyed peas, cucumber, tomatoes, corn, radishes, and Cheddar. Top with the romaine.
- 3 Replace the lid on each jar and tighten it. Refrigerate the jars for up to 4 days.
- 4 Before serving, shake the jars to distribute the salad dressing. Serve the salad in the jars or pour into bowls.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||12.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||7.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||63 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|
3 starch, 3 vegetable, 2 lean meat, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Mason Jar Taco Salad with Avocado-Cilantro Dressing has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box