Vietnamese Marinated Grilled Chicken with Corn-and-Avocado Salad
Honey, lime juice, and soy sauce make up the trifecta of winning ingredients in this delicious marinade.
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 2 tablespoons canola or corn oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 6 large ears of corn, husks and silk discarded
- 2 medium avocados (halved, pitted, diced)
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped (about 2 cups)
- 3/4 cup finely chopped, fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons chopped red onion
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 1 tablespoon plain rice vinegar or white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
Cooking Tip: Don’t feel like grilling? No problem. Preheat the oven to 400°F. Put the oven rack at the top level. Place a wire rack on a baking sheet. Roast the chicken on the wire rack for 20 minutes on each side, or until it registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer. Place foil-wrapped corn on a separate baking sheet. Roast the corn for 20 to 25 minutes, or until tender.
Keep it Healthy: Grilling or roasting vegetables is a delicious way to add a charred flavor without unwanted fat.
Tip: Be sure to use ground ginger as called for in this marinade rather than fresh gingerroot. Fresh gingerroot contains a compound that breaks down the meat. While it’s fine to use fresh gingerroot for a quick marinade, it will make the meat mushy if it marinates for more than 1 or 2 hours, as is the case in this recipe.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a shallow glass dish, whisk together the marinade ingredients. Add the chicken, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 4 to 24 hours, turning occasionally.
- 2 When the chicken has marinated, preheat the grill on medium high. Drain the chicken, discarding the marinade. Let the chicken stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
- 3 Meanwhile, wrap each ear of corn in heavy-duty aluminum foil.
- 4 Grill the corn for 15 to 20 minutes, or until tender, turning occasionally. Remove from the grill. Let cool. Using potholders, carefully remove the corn from the foil.
- 5 Meanwhile, grill the chicken for 5 minutes on each side, or until it registers 165°F on an instant-read thermometer.
- 6 When the corn is cool enough to handle, using a knife, cut off the kernels from each cob. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 7 Stir in the remaining salad ingredients, tossing gently to combine.
- 8 Serve the salad with the chicken.
Copyright © 2018 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||20.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||3.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||4.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||11.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||36 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|
2 starch, 1 vegetable, 3 lean meat, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Vietnamese Marinated Grilled Chicken with Corn-and-Avocado Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box