Grab-and-Go Breakfast Pitas - Delicious Decisions
- 2 whole-wheat, 6-inch pita pockets
- 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 2/3 cup soy-based sausage crumbles
- 1 cup egg substitute
- 2 Tbsp. salsa (lowest sodium available)
Tip: Soybeans provide easily digested high-quality protein and essential amino acids. Meat-free soy-based products that replace sausage, bacon, and burgers offer all the taste without the fat.
Tip: Serving size 1 stuffed pita half.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium skillet on medium-high heat, warm the pitas slightly, about 30 seconds on each side. Transfer to a plate and cover with another plate to keep warm.
- 2 Pour the oil in the skillet, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the green onions for about 2 minutes, or until beginning to soften.
- 3 Stir in the sausage crumbles. Cook for about 2 minutes, or until just heated through.
- 4 Pour in the egg substitute. Reduce the heat to medium low. Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, or until set, stirring often.
- 5 Cut the pitas in half. Spoon the egg mixture into each. Drizzle with the salsa.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Healthy Family Meals, Copyright © 2009 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Healthy Family Meals
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
1 1/2 starch, 1 1/2 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Grab-and-Go Breakfast Pitas - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box