Creamy Tomato Fettuccini
Simple Cooking with Heart says, making your own tomato sauce is easier than you think. Once the pasta and sauce are tossed, personalize your meal with your favorite veggies!
- 8 oz. uncooked, 100%, whole-wheat fettuccine (or spaghetti or angel-hair pasta)
- nonstick Cooking spray
- 2 clove fresh, minced garlic OR
- 1 tsp. minced, jarred garlic
- 1/3 cup chopped onion (white or yellow, approximately 1 small)
- 2/3 cup fat-free ricotta cheese
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil OR
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp sugar OR
- 1 sugar substitute
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1, 14.5- oz canned, low-sodium, diced tomatoes (undrained)
Cooking Tip: Pasta cooked Italian style (and let’s face it, they’re the experts!) is done when its al dente, literally translated “to the tooth.” Pasta is properly cooked when it offers some resistance when bitten.
Don’t add oil to pasta while cooking – it isn’t necessary and adds extra calories. Also sauces don’t coat oily pasta as well. Always cook pasta uncovered, using plenty of water at a fast rolling boil – stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Be sure the water is at a rolling boil before adding the pasta to the pot.
Keep it Healthy: Pasta – to wheat, or not to wheat?
Whole wheat pasta is a great source of fiber and whole-grains in your diet. Switching cold turkey from “regular” pasta to whole-wheat isn’t for everyone. If you’ve tried whole-wheat pasta before and didn’t care for the taste or texture try slowly transitioning your palette by trying a 50-50 mix of regular-whole wheat and then transition to all-wheat in your meals.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Cook pasta according to package directions.
- 2 Spray 3-quart saucepan with cooking spray and heat to medium-high heat. Cook onion and garlic, stirring occasionally, until onion begins to turn translucent (crisp-tender).
- 3 Stir in remaining ingredients, breaking up tomatoes with spoon.
- 4 Heat to a boil, reduce to low-heat and simmer uncovered 8 minutes, stirring occasionally until slightly thickened.
- 5 Add pasta to sauce and toss.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||1.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||54 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
3 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Creamy Tomato Fettuccini has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box