Chunky Marinara with Pasta & Seared Chicken
Simple Cooking with Heart teaches you how to combine many flavors and spices with this homemade marinara. Serve with pasta and chicken.
Or, mix it up and go vegetarian: instead of chicken, top the pasta with oven roasted vegetables.
- non-stick Cooking spray
- 10 oz whole-wheat pasta (spaghetti, penne, rotini, elbow, etc)
- 1 lb chicken tenderloins
- grated, fat-free parmesan or mozzarella (optional)
- 4 clove sliced garlic OR
- 2 tsp jarred, minced garlic
- 2 Tbsp chopped, fresh basil OR
- 2 tsp dried basil
- 2 Tbsp fresh oregano OR
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1-28 oz canned, low-sodium, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 2 Tbsp chopped, fresh parsley
Tip: Mix it up and go vegetarian, instead of chicken try topping with oven roasted vegetables like red pepper, yellow squash, eggplant, asparagus or zucchini.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Spray saucepan with cooking spray and heat over medium heat. Add garlic and cook 3 minutes.
- 2 Add all remaining ingredients except parsley. Bring to boil, cover and reduce to simmer for 12-15 minutes.
- 3 Spoon pasta on to plate, top with marinara and chicken. Sprinkle with grated fat-free parmesan or grated mozzarella (optional)
- 4 Top with parsley.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||43 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Chunky Marinara with Pasta & Seared Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box