Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans
This Simple Cooking with Heart recipe is a healthy twist on a kid favorite! It is a simple yet tasty meal that will quickly become a family favorite dinner!
- 1 lb boneless, skinless, visible fat removed chicken breasts cut into 1’’ strips (or chicken tenderloins)
- 1/3 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup skim milk
- 2 Tbsp low-fat, low-sodium, grated parmesan cheese
- 1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1 tsp garlic or onion powder
- 1 lb fresh green beans (washed, stems discarded)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp minced garlic (from jar)
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
Tip: If you run out of shallow dishes, try using resealable plastic bags or plastic storage containers.
Tip: Don’t have a dish with a lid? No problem, just use a plate to cover a casserole dish or glass loaf pan – use what you have!
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 375.
- 2 Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray.
- 3 On a plate or shallow dish, combine flour and pepper.
- 4 Pour milk into a second shallow dish.
- 5 In another shallow dish, combine parmesan, oats, garlic/onion powder and paprika/parsley (optional: pulse oat mixture in food processor for 20 second for a finer ‘breading’).
- 6 One at a time, dip chicken strips into flour and turn to coat. Then dip in milk, and then oat mixture, turning until well coated.
- 7 Place coated strips on to prepared baking sheet.
- 8 Once all strips are on the baking sheet give a light spray with cooking spray.
- 9 Bake for 20 minutes until golden-brown and cooked through. (Optional: If you prefer darker brown ‘crisply’ tenders, turn on the oven’s broiler for the last 2 minutes but keep an eye on the tenders so they don’t burn!)
- 10 To prepare beans: In a 2-quart microwave-safe dish, place beans, water, garlic and pepper.
- 11 Cover and microwave on high until beans are crisp-tender (6-8 minutes).
- 12 Drain excess liquid.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||24 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Baked Chicken Strips with Microwave Green Beans has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box