Here is a super refreshing Spanish Simple Cooking with Heart recipe that is great during the hot summer months when you don't feel like heating up the kitchen. It's low in calories, chock full of vitamins - plus it's a great way to enjoy summer fresh veggies!
- 6 small ripe tomatoes (peeled, seeded)
- 2 cups low-sodium tomato juice OR
- 2 can no-salt-added tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, seeded)
- 1 small red onion (finely chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (red or green), finely chopped
- 3 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 Tbsp. fresh parsley (chopped) OR
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 clove chopped garlic OR
- 1 tsp. jarred, minced garlic
- 2 green onions (finely chopped)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- juice of 1 lemon
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. no-salt-added, or, lower-sodium Italian seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Add all ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until well mixed but slightly chunky.
- 2 Chill up to 2 hours or overnight before serving. (NOTE: if you don’t have a blender or food processor, try to dice the vegetables as finely as possible and use a masher to mix and mash, for approximately 2 minutes to combine flavors).
- 3 Serve as a chilled soup or as a dip for low sodium, whole wheat crackers or tortilla chips made with liquid oil and no hydrogenated fat or tropical oils, such as palm or coconut oil.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Purchase Cooking in Color Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood Every purchase helps fund the work of the AHA/ASA.
|Total Fat||0.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||18 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
|Added Sugars||0 g|
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Gazpacho has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box