Instead of the usual guacamole, try this rich dip that teams creamy avocado with tender black beans and crunchy chopped veggies. We even include homemade tortilla chips!
- 16 6-inch corn tortillas, each cut into 6 wedges
- 1/8 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp salt and 1/4 tsp salt (divided use)
- 1/2, 15.5 oz can no-salt-added black beans (rinsed, drained)
- 1 medium cucumber (peeled, seeded, finely chopped)
- 1 small green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 medium rib of celery (finely chopped)
- 2-3 Tbsp snipped, fresh cilantro
- 2 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 1/8 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 medium avocados (diced)
Tip: Serving size 1/4 cup salsa and 6 chips
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 On a large baking sheet, arrange half the tortilla wedges in a single layer. Bake for 10 minutes, or until lightly golden. Sprinkle with 1/8 teaspoon salt. Transfer to a serving bowl. Repeat with the remaining tortilla wedges and the remaining 1/8 teaspoon salt.
- 3 Meanwhile, in a medium serving bowl, stir together the beans, cucumber, bell pepper, celery, cilantro, lime juice, the final 1/4 teaspoon salt and red pepper flakes. Using a rubber scraper, gently fold in the avocados. Serve with the tortilla wedges.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Recetas saludables para su corazón/Heart-Healthy Recipes, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Krames StayWell, LLC. Look for Recetas saludables para su corazón/Heart-Healthy Recipes at ShopHeart.org.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Recetas saludables para su corazón / Heart-Healthy Recipes, Bilingual Edition
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 starch, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Avocado Salsa has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box