Baked chicken breast is anything but bland when it’s covered with spicy picante sauce and served with turmeric-tinged brown rice.
- Cooking spray
- 4 chicken breast halves, (about 4 ounces each)
- 1/4 to 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 cup mild picante sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 cup uncooked, instant brown rice
- 1/4 tsp. ground turmeric (optional)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 2 Tbsp. fat-free, or, light sour cream
- 2 Tbsp. snipped, fresh cilantro
Tip: Serving size 3 ounces chicken, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon sauce
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- 2 Lightly spray an 11 x 7 x 2-inch baking dish with cooking spray. Put the chicken in the baking dish. Sprinkle with the cumin, drizzle with the oil and spoon the picante sauce on top. Using the back of a spoon, spread the sauce evenly over the chicken.
- 3 Bake for 25 minutes, or until the chicken is no longer pink in the center.
- 4 Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine and adding the turmeric. Stir in the salt.
- 5 To serve, spoon the rice onto plates. Place the chicken beside the rice. Spoon the sauce over all. Top the chicken with the sour cream and cilantro.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from Heart-Healthy Recipes, Copyright © 2011 by the American Heart Association. Published by Krames StayWell, LLC. Look for Heart-Healthy Recipes at ShopHeart.org.
|Total Fat||4.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 1/2 starch, 3 very lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Picante Chicken has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box