Fish Soup with Potato and Greens
This Simple Cooking with Heart seafood recipe is loaded with good-for-you ingredients as well as hearty flavor.
- 2 medium onion (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 stalk celery (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into 1/2-inch pieces)
- 1/2 tsp. hot sauce (may also use less to reduce spiciness), optional
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 lb.winter squash (butternut or acorn squash), peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 lb. unpeeled potatoes (cut into 2-inch pieces)
- 1 lb. fresh, or, frozen, thawed salmon (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen greens (spinach, chard, green cabbage, mixed greens such as kale-spinach-mustard leaf mixtures). Spinach or frozen greens can be used whole, green cabbage and other tougher greens should be chopped into ½ inch strips
- 8, 6-inch round corn tortillas, warmed on a grill or microwave
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 4 Tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
Keep it Healthy: You can use more carrots, if you don’t have the winter squash. When making soups or stews. It is important to add salt at the end, rather than at the beginning of cooking, since some liquid will evaporate and you could end up adding more than you need for best health and flavor.
Cooking Tip: You can use any fish you like, if salmon is not available.
Tip: Like many soups, this one will develop more flavor over a day or two. If you have leftovers, you can freeze them and when re-heating add more fresh greens to freshen the look and flavor.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Make a vegetable stock by combining ½ of the onions, celery and carrots and putting them in a pot with 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and simmer for 15-30 minutes. Remove the vegetables and set aside to add back later.
- 2 In the water that was used to cook the vegetables add the winter squash, potatoes and the other half of the onions, celery and carrots, garlic and tabasco sauce (optional).
- 3 Cook the soup until the winter squash and carrots are tender and can be pierced with a fork, about 15 minutes. If using cabbage, add it after the winter squash and carrots have been cooking for 10 minutes, so that it can get tender, before you add the next ingredients.
- 4 Add the salmon pieces and cook for 2-3 minutes, until the fish turns opaque.
- 5 Add the vegetables used to make the vegetable stock back into the soup.
- 6 Add the fresh or frozen greens and cook for 2-3 minutes until they turn bright green and get tender.
- 7 Taste the soup and ONLY if it needs it, add the salt.
- 8 Serve in bowls and garnish with the cilantro.
- 9 Serve with the warm tortillas to dip in the soup.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||37 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|
3 lean meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Fish Soup with Potato and Greens has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box