Gazpacho Pasta Salad - Delicious Decisions
- 8 oz. dried, whole-grain fusilli or rotini pasta
- 2 oz. spinach (about 2 cups), chopped
- 1 small cucumber (quartered lengthwise, sliced crosswise)
- 4 oz. cherry or grape tomatoes (halved)
- 1 cup cooked, shelled edamame (green soybeans)
- 1 small green or red bell pepper (chopped)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup snipped, fresh parsley
- 3/4 cup low-sodium spicy mixed-vegetable juice OR
- 3/4 cup low-sodium Bloody Mary mix
- 3 Tbsp. fresh lime juice
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1 medium avocado (chopped)
- red hot pepper sauce (optional)
Keep it Healthy: For 8 ounces of spicy mixed-vegetable juice, the regular variety can contain 600 mg or more of sodium. We call for the low-sodium product, which for the equivalent amount has less than one-third the sodium. Be sure to look for the lowest-sodium Bloody Mary mix you can find if you opt for that ingredient. Most regular mixes contain over 1,000 mg of sodium in 8 ounces.
Tip: Serving size 1 1/2 cups.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Prepare the pasta using the package directions, omitting the salt. Drain in a colander. Run under cold water to stop the cooking process and cool quickly. Drain well. Transfer to a large bowl.
- 2 Add the spinach, cucumber, tomatoes, edamame, bell pepper, onion, and parsley, tossing to combine.
- 3 In a small bowl, stir together the vegetable juice, lime juice, and garlic. Pour into the pasta mixture, tossing to coat. Gently stir in the avocado. Cover and refrigerate for 1 to 4 hours before serving. Serve with the hot-pepper sauce to sprinkle on top.
This recipe is reprinted with permission from American Heart Association Eat Less Salt, Copyright © 2013 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, a division of Random House, Inc. Available from booksellers everywhere.
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:American Heart Association Eat Less Salt
|Total Fat||7.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||40 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|
1 fat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Gazpacho Pasta Salad - Delicious Decisions has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box