Sweet Potato Nachos
What child won’t want to try orange nachos? The seasoned sweet potatoes with the mellow cheese create a wonderful combination for a snack or healthier game-day appetizer!
- 3 medium sweet potatoes (about 2 pounds), makes about 6 cups of rounds
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. paprika
- 1/3 cup black beans (drained, rinsed)
- 1/3 cup reduced-fat, shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped tomato (1 plum tomato) OR
- 1/3 cup no-salt-added, canned, diced tomatoes (drained, rinsed)
- 1/3 cup chopped avocado
Tip: For easy clean-up, line your baking pan with foil before spraying with nonstick cooking spray, allowing you to toss the foil after use.
Tip: A well-stocked spice cabinet is an easy way to add flavor without added sodium – however, be sure to look for spices and seasoning mixes without added salt.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat the oven to 425°F. Cover the baking pans with foil and coat with nonstick cooking spray.
- 2 Peel and slice the sweet potatoes thinly (about quarter-inch rounds). In a bowl, toss the rounds with olive oil, chili powder, garlic powder and paprika. Spread evenly on prepared pan (might need two pans). Bake for 10 minutes and use a spatula to flip the sweet potato rounds. Bake for another 5-10 minutes or until crisp.
- 3 Remove the pan from the oven and sprinkle beans and cheese over the sweet potatoes. Return to oven until cheese melts, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with tomato and avocado. Serve.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||1.7 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.8 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||34 g|
|Dietary Fiber||6 g|
2 1/2 starch, 3 lean meat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Sweet Potato Nachos has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box