Rustic Italian Tomato Soup
Warm yourself and the whole family on a cold night with this hearty tomato soup.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 16 oz. frozen mixed bell pepper strips (may be labeled stir-fry mix)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2, 15.5-oz can no-salt-added navy beans (drained, rinsed)
- 3 Tbsp. chopped, fresh basil
- 2 Tbsp. chopped, fresh parsley
- 1 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1 medium garlic clove (minced)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/8 to 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a food processor or blender, process the bell pepper strips, tomatoes with liquid, broth, beans, basil, parsley, vinegar, garlic, oregano, and red pepper flakes until slightly chunky or smooth.
- 2 Pour into a large saucepan.
- 3 Bring to a boil over high heat.
- 4 Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the flavors are blended.
- 5 Remove from the heat.
- 6 Stir in the oil and salt.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||22 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1/2 starch, 3 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Rustic Italian Tomato Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box