Fish Stew with Tomatoes
Change up the way you serve seafood with this hearty fish soup.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 1 tsp. canola or corn oil
- 1 medium green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (quartered lengthwise, chopped)
- 1/2 medium onion (chopped)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 cup water
- 1, 6 oz baking potatoes (peeled, diced)
- 1 tsp. salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning blend
- 3 thin mild white fish fillets, such as tilapia or catfish (about 4 ounces each), rinsed, patted dry, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 tsp light tub margarine
- 1/2 tsp. salt
Keep it Healthy: If you have difficulty finding salt-free Cajun or Creole seasoning, make your own no-sodium variety in seconds. Just stir together 1/2 teaspoon each of chili powder, ground cumin, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, and pepper, and, if you wish, 1/8 teaspoon of cayenne (this makes just over 1 tablespoon of the blend). While you have the ingredients out, you may want to double or triple the amounts and keep the extra blend in a container with a shaker top so you can easily sprinkle some on seafood, poultry, meat, and vegetables.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a Dutch oven, heat the oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the bell pepper, carrot, and onion for 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft, stirring frequently. Stir in the tomatoes with liquid, water, potato, and seasoning blend. Bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes, or until the potato pieces are tender.
- 2 Gently stir in the fish. Cook, covered, for 5 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily when tested with a fork. Remove from the heat.
- 3 Fold in the margarine and salt, being careful not to break up the fish. Let stand, covered, for 5 minutes so the flavors blend. Ladle into soup bowls.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks.
|Total Fat||3.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.0 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||16 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|
2 1/2 lean meat, 1/2 starch, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Fish Stew with Tomatoes has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box