Tomato and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup
Try this vibrant vegetable soup using seasonal vegetables.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 14.5 oz. canned, no-salt-added, diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 3/4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped, roasted red bell peppers, drained if bottled
- 1 Tbsp. dried basil (crumbled)
- 1/2 tsp. dried oregano (crumbled)
- 1/8 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- 2 tsp. olive oil (extra virgin preferred)
- 1/4 tsp. sugar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup chopped, fresh parsley
Cooking Tip: Adding a small amount of sugar mellows the acidic taste of tomatoes.
Tip: Serving size 3/4 cup
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a medium saucepan, stir together the tomatoes with liquid, broth, roasted peppers, basil, oregano, and red pepper flakes. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the oil, sugar, and salt. Serve sprinkled with the parsley.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
|Total Fat||2.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||1.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Tomato and Roasted Red Bell Pepper Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box