This Go Red recipe for a Chinese-favorite soup with tofu is a great vegetarian source of protein.
For information on women and heart disease, visit Go Red for Women. (Link opens in a new window)
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 Tbsp. cornstarch
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. water
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced green cabbage or bok choy
- 1/2 cup shiitake, cloud ear, or other exotic mushrooms (shiitake stems discarded)
- 3 medium green onions (sliced)
- 1 Tbsp. minced, peeled gingerroot
- 1 Tbsp. soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 4 oz. firm, light tofu (cut into bite-size strips)
- 1/2 cup vinegaror to taste
- 1 1/2 tsp. pepper, or to taste
- 1/4 cup egg substitute
- 1/2 tsp. toasted sesame oil
Tip: Serving size 3/4 cup.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a stockpot, bring the broth to a boil over high heat.
- 2 Meanwhile, put the cornstarch in a small bowl. Add the water, stirring to dissolve.
- 3 Add the cabbage, mushrooms, green onions, gingerroot, and soy sauce to the boiling broth. Return to a boil. Stir in the cornstarch mixture. Boil for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir in the tofu, vinegar, and pepper. Reduce the heat to a simmer.
- 4 Stirring constantly and gently, slowly drizzle the egg substitute into the simmering soup. Remove from the heat. Stir in the sesame oil. Cook’s Tip:The “handful of whatever’s handy” method works just fine in this very adaptable soup. Snow peas, broccoli florets, shredded carrots, canned water chestnuts, or bamboo shoots would be good substitutes in or additions to the recipe.
This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Go Red For Women movement. Recipe copyright © 2016 by the American Heart Association. Look for other delicious recipes in American Heart Association cookbooks, available from booksellers everywhere or online at heart.org/cookbooks..
|Total Fat||1.0 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.0 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||0.5 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||.00 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|
1/2 lean meat, 1/2 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Hot-and-Sour Soup has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box