All the herby dill and garlic flavors of a Ranch dressing, just in popcorn form are in this Simple Cooking with Heart recipe. Stovetop popcorn only takes a few minutes and yet is both healthier and cheaper than microwave popcorn.
- 4 Tbsp. canola oil (divided) OR
- 4 Tbsp safflower oil (divided)
- 3/4 cup popcorn kernels
- 1 1/2 Tbsp. dried chives
- 1 Tbsp. dried parsley
- 1 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
Keep it Healthy: Oils like canola, safflower, or olive oil are a heart-healthier alternative to drizzle over popcorn in place of butter.
Cooking Tip: The common 3-ounce microwave popcorn will yield a little more than the 10 cups of popcorn in this recipe. Continue to follow the directions for the Ranch-Chive oil and drizzle over the microwave popcorn.
Tip: If going the microwave popcorn route, make sure to choose the 94 percent fat-free variety. Also, compare the sodium content, aiming for bags with 30 to 40 milligrams of sodium per serving.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 In a heavy-duty large pot, warm 1 tablespoon canola oil and a few popcorn kernels over high heat. Wait a couple minutes until these kernels have popped—this shows the oil is at the perfect popcorn-popping temperature.
- 2 As quickly as possible, add in remaining popcorn kernels and cover with a lid. Reduce the heat to medium-high. Using potholders and shaking the pot constantly as the kernels pop, cook until the popping slows down, about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove the pot from heat but keep the lid on; some remaining kernels may continue to pop.
- 3 In a small bowl, stir together oil and seasonings to combine.
- 4 Carefully transfer the hot popcorn into a large bowl. Drizzle with the herbed oil, tossing as you add the oil so all the popcorn is coated. Serve.
Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
Like the Recipe? It and Many Others are Available in the Cookbook Below:Sodium Smart Recipe Magazine Copyright © 2017 American Heart Association, Healthy For GoodTM, heart.org/healthyforgood
|Total Fat||10.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||3.3 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||6.2 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||20 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|
1 1/2 starch, 2 fat
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Ranch-Chive Popcorn has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box