Maple Syrup-Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole
Slash the calories of a classic dish and welcome a new holiday favorite. Whipping up egg whites and folding into the mashed sweet potatoes is an easy, healthy way to create lightness in this recipe from the Simple Cooking with Heart program.
- 40 oz. canned, chopped sweet potatoes in light syrup, drained
- 1 1/4 tsp. pumpkin pie spice (divided)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup unsalted pumpkin seeds (also called pepitas)
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. maple syrup
- 2 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
Cooking Tip: In a recipe that requires egg whites to be whipped, it’s important not to get even a drop of egg yolk into the mixture as it will prevent the whites from properly whipping.
Keep it Healthy: To use fresh sweet potatoes, substitute about 1 ½ pounds sweet potatoes for the canned. Peel and chop them; boil in water until tender (about 15 to 20 minutes). Drain and use 4 cups of these sweet potatoes in place of the canned sweet potatoes.
Tip: Pumpkin pie spice is a combination of cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, and allspice. A little shake adds a desserty sweetness and flavor into recipes like sweet potato casserole or pumpkin pie without sugar.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400°.
- 2 Drain the sweet potatoes and add them into a large bowl. Using a potato masher or fork, mash well. (Alternatively, to let kids help with the dish, add drained sweet potatoes into a large zip-top bag, seal it, and let them use their hands to mash the sweet potatoes before transferring to a bowl.) Stir in 1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice, salt, and extract.
- 3 Meanwhile, add egg whites into the bowl of a stand mixer. Using a whisk attachment (or a hand mixer, alternatively) whip the egg whites on high speed until firm peaks form, about 3 to 4 minutes. Use a spatula to gently fold egg whites into the sweet potatoe mixture.
- 4 Coat a 1 ½-quart baking dish with cooking spray. Transfer the sweet potato mixture into the baking dish. Into a small bowl, stir together pumpkin seeds, oil, maple syrup, flour, and remaining ¼ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.
- 5 Bake in preheated oven until sweet potatoes are fluffy and topping is golden-brown, about 20 to 25 minutes.
Recipe copyright © 2016 American Heart Association. This recipe is brought to you by the American Heart Association's Simple Cooking with Heart ® Program. For more simple, quick and affordable recipes, visit heart.org/simplecooking.
|Total Fat||5.5 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.9 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||1.6 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||2.0 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||46 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|
1/2 fat, 3 starch
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Maple Syrup-Glazed Sweet Potato Casserole has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box