Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad
This magnificent magenta salad is filled with the tartness of ruby red grapefruit and the earthiness of beets. It isn’t just gorgeous to look at, but also tasty to eat. Pair with grilled or broiled fish, if desired.
- 3 medium beets, peeled and diced into 1-inch chunks (4 cups)
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (divided)
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves
- 2 cups canned ruby red grapefruit segments in water or own juice, drained
- 1, (15-ounce) can mandarin orange segments (in water, drained)
- 1 tablespoon chopped red onion
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley
- 2 Tbsp red wine vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Cooking Tip: Did you know beets can also be cooked in the slow cooker? Simply wrap each beet in foil and place as many as will fit in 1 layer into the slow cooker bowl (about 4 to 5 medium beets in a large slow cooker). Cover with lid and cook on high heat until tender, about 4 to 5 hours. From there, peel and trim each beet; then, simply turn into 4 cups chopped beets to use for the salad.
Keep it Healthy: If not in the canned aisle, grapefruit segments can sometimes be found in plastic cups in the produce section. Drained of the juice, they can be a great portable fruit option for a work lunch or kid snack.
Tip: If possible, use a pair of disposable kitchen gloves when peeling and chopped raw beets; otherwise, pink-hued hands will be in your future.
Tip: Click on step to mark as complete.
- 1 Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Prepare a baking sheet by lining it with foil and coating foil with cooking spray.
- 2 Use a peeler to remove the peel from each beet. Trim and discard the ends of each beet. Dice each beet into 1-inch chunks. Transfer beets to the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with 1 tablespoon oil. Roast until softened (tender when a knife goes through it), about 45 to 55 minutes.
- 3 When ready to serve salad, place spinach on the bottom of a serving bowl or platter. Top with drained grapefruit segments and orange segments, along with chopped red onion and chopped parsley. In a small bowl, whisk together 1 tablespoon oil, vinegar, and salt. Pour over the salad and gently toss with tongs.
- 4 Spoon cooked beets onto the top of the salad. Serve.
|Total Fat||7.4 g|
|Saturated Fat||0.6 g|
|Trans Fat||0.0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat||2.1 g|
|Monounsaturated Fat||4.5 g|
|Total Carbohydrate||25.9 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3.4 g|
1 1/2 fat, 1 1/2 fruit, 1 vegetable
Please sign in to add recipes to your Recipe Box.Log In
Success! Roasted Beet and Citrus Salad has been added to your Recipe Box.Go to Recipe Box